Yet again, linking up with Conversion Diary for her “7 in 7″ challenge. I apparently have put myself in a theme called “adulthood is” so… bare with me. I’m highly aware that 99% of my blog readers are adults. Therefore, you’re all the more qualified to comment, critique, and clap at my new found realizations of the reality of adulthood, and such. Combox it up.
What does one decorate the walls of an apartment with?
Two years ago, when I started grad school and got my first place, these were the answers:
- pretty pictures ripped off a calendar from the dollar store*
- a large white board, mostly unused
- coffee-related artwork obtained at a yard sale*
- crucifixes (two obtained via yard sale; one made by my mother out of stained glass; one a high school grad gift from a friend)*
- poster of Rorschach from Watchmen
- unframed pictures of friends/family/pretty things, taped to the wall *
I think that’s everything. So now, in an attempt to be a bit more sophisticated [HAHAHA] I have a few changes in store. Also, my new apartment is twice the size and has more walls, so I’m being practical.
Note: all items marked with a * on the above list will be making another appearance in the new place. A few additions that are new to the scene:
- I want a holy water font. Preferably stationed near the door so I can give myself an extra boost of blessing as I head to work each day. I haven’t bought/chosen one yet, but as examples, I quite like this Christ The Teacher font as well as this one, which has Our Lady of Good Health as well as a prayer. Because prayer + holy water is not a bad combo.
[If you're reading this, not Catholic, and don't get the holy water thing, feel free to ask. I have plenty of priests and religious who speak to me on a regular basis and can give you a greater understanding!]
Edit: as on 3pm on July 23, I found my holy water font! This was purchased at the local Catholic store. It’s actually a prototype because they’re testing how to build the molding using a new material for the construction. And, go figure – it features Our Lady of Good Health. WIN!
- Watercolor paintings by a true artist. Who, you might ask? Actually… my grandmother. She’s been painting as long as I’ve known her, mostly still lifes or nature scenes. The below painting of pears will be likely hung in my dining room. Click on the image to view more available paintings in her online gallery. Anything strike your fancy?
- And last but not least… I have some Pittsburgh Penguins / Sidney Crosby fathead brand stickers that didn’t get hung up/stuck on in the old apartment, so they’ll be new to this one. YAY for hockey!
So tell me. What’s on your walls? and where can I get it, if it’s cheap?